Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Timothy Spall on Johnny Depp


Actor Timothy Spall recently discussed why he wanted to be in the Tim Burton adaptation of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. One notable reason, Spall said, was because his daughter wanted him to be in a film with Johnny Depp.

"I really wanted this one - I knew Tim was directing and that Johnny Depp was going to be in it. My daughter, my youngest daughter, really wanted me to do it for that reason - Johnny Depp was in it. [She came on set to meet Depp] and he was really delightful to her, she had a great time. Then, I took her to the junket - and [Johnny] greeted her like an old pal when he saw her. I've got plenty of brownie points at the moment," said Spall.

The actor also recalls how down-to-earth and good-natured Johnny Depp was.
"[Depp's] a lovely lad actually - considering he's one of the biggest film stars at the moment, if not the biggest, he's totally down-to-earth; there's no attitude or weirdness about him. I know they can get like that - living in isolation and all. It's not like he's just some guy off the street, so it was nice to see he functions normally, but more so, he's a really nice guy and a lot of fun."

Timothy Spall plays the sinister Beadle Bamford in the movie musical.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that Timothy collaborates with Tim again. That being said, I would also like Alan Rickman and Sacha Baron Cohen to collaborate with Tim again as well.

Anonymous said...

Excellent casting in all of Tim Burton's films . I used to despise Sacha Baron Cohen....well , at least Ali G....but I've since come to see just how clever and talented the guy really is . I'd LOVE to see more of his work...and he is so well suited for a Burton film . As for Alan and Timothy....I don't know why he hasn't used them more often . Flawless performance.

Anonymous said...

As for Johnny....He has that sort of personality that makes it so easy to picture him without the A-List status . He truly is a warm and genuine guy . :::sighs::: I really hope that little French girl knows just how lucky she is....