Friday, April 20, 2012

Depp Remembers Jonathan Frid


In a statement to People Magazine, Johnny Depp paid tribute to the original Barnabas Collins of Dark Shadows, Jonathan Frid, who died on April 13th.

Depp said, "Jonathan Frid was the reason I used to run home from school to watch Dark Shadows. His elegance and grace was an inspiration then and will continue to remain one forever more. When I had the honor to finally meet him, as he so generously passed the torch of Barnabas to me, he was as elegant and magical as i had always imagined. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. The world has lost a true original."

In 1991, on the 20th anniversary of the TV show's demise, Frid told People: "I only did the part for some pocket money to go teach on the West Coast. And, of course, because I didn't particularly want the job, I got it. An audition room full of cadaverous-looking creeps, and I must have really looked the part."

He added, "I always thought I looked like this damn silly ass. I couldn't believe people were ever really scared."


Photo credits: ABC/Getty; Warner Bros.

No comments: